Ayrshire Archives is the local authority archive service for South Ayrshire Council, East Ayrshire Council and North Ayrshire Council. The Ayrshire Archives Service was established in 1996 by the three Ayrshire councils to preserve and make accessible Ayrshire’s documentary heritage. The archive service looks after and provides access to records of historical importance belonging to the three local authorities and their predecessors, as well as private records that relate to the historical development of Ayrshire and Arran. Ayrshire Archives covers the whole of Ayrshire including the Cumbraes and Arran and our collections are located at various repositories across Ayrshire. The oldest record we hold is the Burgh Charter for the Town of Ayr, dated 1205, and signed by William the Lion, King of Scotland.