Departmental Archives of Calvados (Archives Départementales du Calvados) (France)

Founded by the law of 5 Brumaire Year V, the Archives du Calvados benefited from 1867 from a dedicated building adjoining the prefecture on rue Saint-Laurent, designed by the architect Marcotte. An extension was added in 1930 to accommodate the reading room, while the old Church of the Sepulcher was used as an annex conservation area from 1932. Miraculously spared by the bombings of June with the collections it contained, the building was destroyed in 1966 to accommodate the modern wing of the prefecture, the current headquarters of the department.